Growing up with a Scottish parent tonight was always the biggest celebration of the year. It’s a night that everyone should spend in Scotland at least once. It’s a night where a country that can stand toe-to-toe with the Irish when it comes to drinking and having a good time, turns the dial to 11 and leaves all others in their wake.
In the finest of Scottish traditions I’m going to buy a round of decent whiskey for myself and my friends at around midnight, and propose a toast to absent friends. It’s going to be emotional, but also somewhat cleansing for the soul.
2010 has been brutal and I’m happy to see the back of it, 2011 is going to be spectacular.
- Haste ye back, we loue you dearly,
- Call again you’re welcome here.
- May your days be free from sorrow,
- And your friends be ever near.
- May the paths o’er which you wander,
- Be to you a joy each day.
- Haste ye back we loue you dearly,
- Haste ye back on friendship’s way.
Happy new year. And while I’ll be thinking of who is not here tonight, I’ll do appreciate those who are. Thanks for being there, I feel very lucky.